||[Nov. 8th, 2007|09:31 pm]
So... if I want to, Monday I can start at OSU at about 56% of my last contracting salary, or about half of what I expected to be making by now. Tomorrow, I'm going to try to find out what that means in take home pay so I can figure out a budget, and decide if it's possible. If |
In other news, Chibi has an aural hematoma that the doctor thinks should be drained. I can't afford it (but if I'd taken a contracting job, it'd be trivial), but because Chibi has had several infections, I don't want to take any chances that it's more than just blood.
Then, after that major expense, I get a trivial paycheck for December - Oregon State pays monthly - and a regular paycheck at the end of the year.
Oh, did I mention that I'm no longer under consideration for any of the other positions that I applied for? I can imagine that being the result of my taking a temp position (it would look like showing favoritism to one candidate), but I wish they'd said that this would happen.
So I guess, early on, I'll have to talk to them about the possibilities. What do they see as possible things that could happen going forward?
I don't like this... if I were to move now, I could get a contracting job in Seattle (or hell, Portland) before my money runs out. If I stay down here, I'm committed and likely stuck without going pretty deeply into debt.
But I guess it's time to just see what happens, and roll with the punches however they come.
Aieee. GoodThoughts that you'll make the decision that will turn out to be the best one. And GoodThoughts for Chibi as well; he's such an utter love.
Hmmm...one thought came to mind. Whenever I've worked for Universities, I've always been eligible for tuition decreases or, in some cases, free courses. Even if the salary is much lower, will it enable you to take psych classes at no cost?
No... no benefits of any kind.
I wasn't 100% sure of that, but I learned it while filling out paperwork today.
So I've also e-mailed the guy I was talking with about this to find out how long I should expect to wait before there's any chance of a change. I know he can't say "we will review things in X months" but I'm asking him to say "we won't be able to review things for at least Y months". If Y is too large, I guess I'm going to have to give this a pass.
Oh crap. Good Luck John, it sounds like you have more than enough on your plate to think about right now.
Thanks... but Chibi's surgery is going on, and if that goes through without a hitch, nothing else is as big a deal.
Well, the temp position gets your foot in the door and gives you some experience at the university, so that's a good thing. It may be short-term pain for long-term gain?
That's pretty much what we're hoping. But damn, it's a frustrating situation.
Maybe. I e-mailed my contact there to ask about this. Since I know he can't say "we'll review by such-and-such date", I asked him if he can set a lower limit ("you might as well not bother hoping to move to a permanent position before X months have passed"). We'll see.
Damn, that bites bigtime. I'll be thinking of you, man.
Thanks; it's nothing compared to the stresses you're facing (and you and Danny have been in my thoughts frequently), but they'll do for general stress-y-ness.
Now I still have another hour and 45 minutes to hear back on Chibi, though... that's the most nervewracking thing on my plate at the moment.
Chuckle. Thanks; I'll do my best. I'm just hoping I can stop rolling while still in Albany :-).