|Latest news on Chibi
||[Mar. 19th, 2008|11:25 pm]
The vet removed the growth and thinks it doesn't look cancerous, but we're having it tested to be sure.|
Chibi definitely has a thyroid problem, though. I don't know the scale that I was shown, but up to 5.8 or so was normal (and the vet said that 4 was really a better high for an elderly cat), and Chibi was at 8.1.
The vet's suggested either medication, or radioactive iodine. I'm not sure about the ups and downs of either, and I'm waiting just to be sure I know that the growth isn't cancerous before deciding.
But he's back home, and healthy appearing, and I'm feeling a lot better.
Thank you to everyone who responded over the past couple days, I really appreciated it. I tried to respond to folks, but I kept running out of emotional energy when I tried.
For now, it's time for bed, so I can finally try to get in a day of work where my mind isn't pulled in ten different directions.
Short story for hyperthyroid cats: medication is recommended initially, even if you intend to go for the I-131 treatment later (meds are reversible if there are any problems that the thyroid problem may be masking).
Go to http://www.veterinarypartner.com
and search on hyperthyroidism - lots of good info there.
Problem is very common in older cats, and is treatable.
For an owner's perspective, go to cellio
's journal (she's had several cats with this problem). Tell her I sent you her way :-)
Seconded, what she said.
I'm glad the surgery went well, and that the vet is optimistic about the lump.
Hyperthyroidism is fairly easy to treat, and if you have questions about either oral meds or iodine, please email me. Also, if Chibi is difficult to give pills to, the medication can be compounded in a bunch of different forms (chewable treat, flavored liquid, even a topical paste) - so hopefully no need for struggle on that front....
Chibi, bless his good-natured heart, is one of the easier cats to dose I've ever met. He doesn't necessarily *like* it, but he puts up with it.
I still wish I was going up there this weekend instead of johnpalmer
coming down here, so I could give the poor guy (the feline one, that is) some cheek skritchies and quality lap time outside of the damned E-collar.
If I can get it in a liquid form, that'd probably be easier. kightp
mentions that he's easy to give pills to, and he is, mostly... but only after a vet showed me the (obvious, in retrospect) trick of following it up with 1 ml of water. If I could just give him the liquid, it saves the step of having to get the pill back in his throat-area.
(I know some folks can just get the pill to the back of the throat, but I always end up with a multi-minute struggle that often includes putting a partially dissolved pill back in his mouth. Heaven help us both if the pill gets sticky when wet!)
I'm pleased to hear that the surgery went well and he's at home. I'll keep my fingers crossed for good results from the testing, and that the thyroid condition can be readily controlled.
And a belated thank you... he's pretty much back to normal, though I haven't started the thyroid meds quite yet. (I hadn't even received them until yesterday.)
I'm glad to hear this, John.
(hugs) (I can't think of a better response...can you?)
It's tough to respond when your heart and mind are in different places and otherwise occupied.
Here's hoping that the growth isn't cancerous!
Continued GoodThoughts for Chibi, also *skritchles* and some quality time with the laser pointer...
Yay for home-Chibi and a catnip mousie. Hopefully the vet will bring good news.
Grace has been on methimazole treatment sense last Summer. She has gained her weight and is back to normal. There is a clinic in Eugene that will do the surgery. I looked into it, but the cost is $900 and the cat needs to kept separate from other animals for two weeks. I decided to do the methimazole/lipoderm gel. It is a cream that I rub on the inside of her ear twice a day. The cost is $35 a month, but no stress for her or me. In the long run the surgery might be cheaper, but how do we know? She is an in/out door cat. It is easier for me to pay a little each month rather than $900 today.
Wishing Chibi the best recovery.
Thanks... if the surgery you're referring to is the radioactive iodine treatment, then I might have to pass on it. I'm not sure how I'd keep my two cats separated for two weeks, and while the cost isn't impossibly high, it's still pretty darned expensive. The monthly cost might end up being more than the iodine treatment, but it'll be spread out over more than two years if it does.