?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Good news? Bad news? I don't know - John [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
John

[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

Good news? Bad news? I don't know [Mar. 27th, 2008|07:30 pm]
John
The growth in Chibi's ear was cancerous. The doctor said it was the kind of thing that is typically limited, and the danger is that it might grow back at the same location. I'm not entirely sure I believe him... I suppose part of this is that, when he talked about the suspicious growth in Chibi's ear, he never mentioned that it could be cancerous. How much of what he's saying is hopeful optimism, and how much of it is simply the unvarnished truth?

But that makes it that much more important-seeming to me to get him on thyroid medication, so I can see what that does for his weight.
linkReply

Comments:
[User Picture]From: spiritdance
2008-03-28 03:07 am (UTC)
Well, if you can get the info from the biopsy to Becky or me (the name of what the biopsy showed), I suspect you could get a (limited, because it's virtual) second opinion. :-)
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: ladysprite
2008-03-28 11:36 am (UTC)
Absolutely - I'd be happy to give what advice I can.

To be honest, I'd trust your vet. It sounds like they've played straight with you so far. But if you want to email me details, I'll tell you what I know - or heck, give me your clinic's phone number and I can talk to the vet.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: johnpalmer
2008-04-02 05:10 pm (UTC)
Thank you for the offer. If anything else happens, I might well take you up on the offer to call the vet; I don't know if I'd know what to tell you.

I guess the reason I wasn't sure I trusted the vet was that, when we first saw the growth, I was told that he might want to look at it if it doesn't go away. He didn't mention any urgency, and it didn't sound serious.

But I suppose that's a judgment call... how much do you want to risk inciting needless worry, versus how much do you want to express how urgent it could be.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: grey_lady
2008-03-28 02:05 pm (UTC)
And spiritdance has been extremely helpful to me in such circumstances, so I can recommend this course of action highly.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: johnpalmer
2008-04-02 05:05 pm (UTC)
I guess I've decided not to do that, as a kind of default measure, but I really appreciate the offer.

(Going into babbling mode here...)
Chibi's been having so many separate issues right now that I'm not sure anyone could give an opinion without having a big picture. I mean, he's getting constant sinus infections (it seems it's coming back, and I just don't think I'm going to end up with the $1300 minimum to do the rhinoscopy to take a look and maybe not find anything to try to fix) he's showing hyperthyroidism, his weight has had some serious changes, and he's a minimum of 13 years old - maybe 14, maybe older.

So right now, I'm trying to the thyroid meds and seeing what happens. If he does have a possibly recurring kind of cancer, I'm not sure it'll do me any good to know that. But first, I need to see if his thirst and urination goes down, see if his weight comes back, etc..

Gads, I guess there was a lot of that dammed up waiting to get out. So, let me end this with another sincere thank you for your offer.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: spiritdance
2008-04-03 12:24 am (UTC)
Gads, I guess there was a lot of that dammed up waiting to get out.

I'm not surprised :-)

Overall, with older cats, I tend to look for the common things first (kidney problems, diabetes, hyperthyroidism), along with the things we can see in cats of any age (FeLV, FIV, dental problems). Even if the cat has previously tested FeLV/FIV negative, and is currently 100% inside, I'll get a test panel that includes those two tests.

Not every vet will, but I've had the unpleasant experience of dealing with a 12 year old cat who tested positive for FeLV on screening bloodwork because he was losing weight. (100% inside, only cat in the home his whole life, only left the house to go to the vet's, vaccinated for everything we could then vaccinate against, including leukemia).

Re: constant sinus infections - either of the viruses can set up a cat for recurrent infections. So can dental problems (including some that only show up on dental x-rays - like fractured roots or root remnants). And chronic herpes virus infections(more commonly show as eye problems, but I've seen 'em with chronic nasal discharge) - which is fairly easily treated with a nutritional supplement powder.

Anyway, see if you can set up an appointment to talk with your vet about what his thoughts are. And see how the thyroid meds do :-)
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
From: ex_serenejo
2008-03-28 03:40 am (UTC)
In my lexicon, "suspicious growth" is equivalent to "may be cancer". I hope everything goes well with Chibi. *hugs*
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: tiger_spot
2008-03-28 04:18 am (UTC)
In my lexicon, "suspicious growth" is equivalent to "may be cancer".

Yep.

I hope Chibi's okay.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: johnpalmer
2008-04-02 05:18 pm (UTC)
Thank you.

The reason I was feeling bothered by the doctor was that it wasn't actually called a "suspicious growth" (as far as I remember - I could be remembering wrong), so I couldn't think "possibly cancer". Of course, when the doctor saw it, it wasn't as bad as it got a couple weeks later, so who knows?
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: glinda_w
2008-03-28 04:54 am (UTC)
Aieeee. GoodThoughts continuing.

(Give Chibi and Skitty skritchles (and circles of the laser pointer!) for me, 'k?)
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: johnpalmer
2008-04-02 05:20 pm (UTC)
Will do...

Alas, I learned that one old standard trick - keeping the cat carrier out as a playhouse/shelter - did *not* make vet transport any easier :-). He still seemed to recognize that going in there meant going into the car. (Interestingly, I don't think the vet is all that bad for him, but the trip there is.)
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: kightp
2008-03-28 05:16 am (UTC)
Crap. And *hugs*. And *skritches*.

I second spiritdance's suggestion: You have friends who are in the animal-health business; get them the information and ask them if your vet is being straight with you.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: johnpalmer
2008-04-02 05:21 pm (UTC)
Well, as I mentioned to them, I don't think that's going to help right now. First, we need to see what the thyroid meds do for him.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]From: johnpalmer
2008-04-02 05:20 pm (UTC)
Thank you, it's very much appreciated.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)